The Town of Okotoks offers two subsidized transportation services to residents including the Community Access (Taxi) program and the Volunteer Driver program. Eligible residents may access certain Town-operated programs and services at a reduced cost or for free.
The Town of Okotoks wishes to ensure that Okotoks residents who are seniors (60 years of age and over) and adults with permanent disabilities are able to remain active participants in the community. A subsidy is provided to a contracted taxi company for each trip taken and provides users with a reduced taxi fare.
The Community Access Program is facilitated by Okotoks Family and Community Support Services.
To apply for the program:
- Contact the Community Wellness Assistant at 403-995-2773 or contact us online; or
- Download and complete the Community Access Program Application; or
- Pick up an application form from the Okotoks Recreation Centre, Okotoks Municipal Centre, or the Okotoks Family Resource Centre.
Where do you drop off your form?
Completed application forms should be emailed or dropped off at one of the following locations:
Call TOWN TAXI at 403-975-2233
- For out-of-town and trips outside the hours of 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM, please book 24 hours in advance.
- Taxi users who qualify for this reduced rate must have a current Community Access Program Identification card.
- Taxi users show their card to the driver and sign a receipt at the end of each trip.
- Trips to the airport are not eligible for this program.
- This program does not pay for wait time.
Eligible trips under the Community Access Program include:
Round trips from Okotoks to Calgary
One way trips into Calgary
For those requiring a wheelchair accessible vehicle, contact 403-995-2773 to make trip arrangements. Please provide at least 48 hours’ notice.
The Town of Okotoks pays the balance of your fare, according to the agreement with TOWN TAXI. The Community Access Program has a limited budget and is not funded sufficiently to provide daily trips for everyone. Cardholders will be notified if trips are approaching the maximum allowed.
The Town of Okotoks provides qualified Rural Okotoks residents with subsidized transportation for medical appointments only, through the existing contract with Town Taxi.
As a Rural Cardholder you must be a senior citizen (65 years or older) or disabled and meets the following criteria:
• Be a permanent resident within the rural boundaries of Okotoks;
• Line 150 of the current Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment cannot exceed $27,300/single or $44,335/married in order to be eligible for this program.
Rural Okotoks residents may use the service ONCE per week (4 times per month maximum) for medically related trips only. Special circumstances MAY be considered, the user must first contact us at 403-995-2773 to book trips. Any waiting time is the responsibility of the user. Your trips are recorded each month and you will be notified if it appears you are close to the maximum trips allowed.
Please provide 48 hours’ notice for booking trips.
Rural cardholders can apply using the CAP Rural Application Form.
The Volunteer Driver Program is a supportive program for adults (18+) living in Okotoks who require assistance with transportation to medical appointments outside the local area. In 2019, volunteer drivers logged over 14,000 km driving grateful residents to appointments!
Volunteer Drivers provide safe, free and reliable transportation for residents who would otherwise struggle to meet this need.
All drive requests are managed through the Okotoks Family Resource Centre. Contact the Centre to discuss your needs and learn more about the program. As much notice as possible when requesting drives is appreciated in order to communicate needs to the pool of Volunteer Drivers.