Have you noticed the maintenance route signs around Town on Priority 1 (arterial and downtown roads) and Priority 2 (collector roads)? A maintenance route parking ban is a temporary parking restriction on roads designated as maintenance routes. Parking bans allow crews to work on the roadways more efficiently when they don’t have to operate around parked cars.
Maintenance Routes and Parking Bans
A parking ban is a declaration by the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) based on maintenance requirements in Okotoks, which will restrict vehicles from parking on maintenance routes for a period of time.
Anyone utilizing a maintenance route for parking.
- When maintenance is necessary, the Town will declare a parking ban along the impacted roadways. The Town will try to provide 48 hours notice.
- Permanent signage has been placed around Town to identify maintenance routes. When maintenance is necessary, a parking ban will be declared for a specified time on specified roads. Messaging will be sent out to the community via the Town website and social media channels. Information will also be sent out to the local media and be broadcasted on the Eagle 100.9 radio station.
- A parking ban could be declared for street sweeping typically during the months from mid-April to the end of June.
- A parking ban could be declared during any major snow fall event when snow clearing, snow removal and sanding operations are required for community safety.
- A parking ban could be declared for road construction or other maintenance work, such as pothole repairs etc.
It is important to note that if a vehicle continues to park on the street during parking bans, repeat offenders could face a verbal warning, a violation ticket in the amount of $150, and/or have your vehicle being towed.
You will have to find another place for your vehicle when a ban is in place. Alternate parking options could include parking on another street nearby that doesn’t have any parking restrictions in place at the time.
Parking bans create efficiencies for all road maintenance requirements, including snow clearing, street sweeping and road construction operations. Parking bans will also aid in consistent enforcement over vehicles parked indefinitely on roadways.