In 1900, Mr. Frank Watt from Longview built the first school in Okotoks.
It was a two-storey, four-room brick school, and was located at the foot of the hill. (This is where the Provincial Court Building is currently located on McRae Street).
This school served the Okotoks community until 1970 when it was torn down.
It was officially called ‘Okotoks Public School’ but most people called it the Okotoks Lower School – not just because of its location, but also because it taught the lower grades. The Upper School, built in 1912 on the top of the hill, taught the upper grades.
The Okotoks Lower School welcomed hundreds of students and dozens of teachers during its 70 years of services. The two videos below pay tribute to the lower school – one featuring teachers’ perspectives and the other highlighting students’ perspectives.