There are two most common factors contributing to the increase in calls. The first is people leaving cars running in their garages. Even with the garage door open, there can be a hazardous build up of fumes. Always move your car out of your garage to warm it up.
Secondly, newer homes with high efficiency furnaces which have intakes and exhausts down low on the exterior of the house, are, in some cases, being blocked by snow drifts and causing a back up of carbon monoxide in the home. If you have a new home with a high efficiency furnace, ensure that the exhaust and intake are not blocked.
Best way to stay safe is to have a carbon monoxide detector installed according to the manufactures instructions and ensure the batteries are checked and changed regularly. As well, you should have all of your fuel-burning appliances checked annually.
Use this document to assist you with the installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors: Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, tasteless gas. Carbon monoxide is very toxic and it can be lethal.