A municipal census is an official count of the number of people living in Okotoks at a given point in time.
The primary purpose for conducting the census is to produce an accurate population count. This count provides the basis for calculating per capita grants received by the Town of Okotoks. These grants represent a substantial amount of money and improve the quality of life for Okotokians.
Residents of all municipalities use public services such as schools, roads, recreational facilities, emergency services, police services and libraries. Current, reliable census data is an essential tool which enables the Town of Okotoks to anticipate and adapt to change. Basing decisions on constantly updated demographics results in more appropriate use of revenue and resources. It also allows the Town to be proactive in its response to multiple demands, shifts in priorities and rapid changes that the future will bring.
The municipal census is completed by residents primarily online via a unique PIN delivered to each Okotoks home.
Each household will receive instructions delivered to their door about the census in early May 2018. Once your residence has received its PIN (unique household access code), you may go online to complete your 2018 Municipal Census.
By providing the number of residents in your home on May 2, 2018 you will assist the Town of Okotoks in obtaining an accurate and current population count. The current population number is used by the Town when applying for per capita based provincial or federal grant programs.
Current, reliable census data is an essential tool which enables the Town of Okotoks to anticipate and adapt to change. Basing decisions on constantly updated demographics results in more appropriate use of revenue and resources. It also allows the Town to be proactive in its response to multiple demands, shifts in priorities and rapid changes that the future will bring.
The Town of Okotoks encourages all residents to complete the municipal census.
You are considered to be a resident of Okotoks and eligible to complete the census if, in accordance with the Determination of Population Regulation :
- Your 'usual place of residence is the Town of Okotoks ('usual place of residence' is defined as the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent from it, the person intends to return);
- You are a student who is in attendance at an educational institution within or outside Alberta, or, temporarily rents accommodation for the purpose of attending an educational institution, and has family members who are usually residents of the Town of Okotoks and with whom the student usually resides when not in attendance at an educational institution;
- You have entered an institution, such as a correctional institution or hospital, less than 6 months prior to May 2, 2018, and Okotoks is deemed to be your 'usual place of residence' before entering the institution.
You are NOT eligible to complete the census if:
- You have lived in Okotoks less than 6 months prior to May 2, 2018.
- You are a visitor or college/university student who has a 'usual place of residence' elsewhere.
- You were born after May 2, 2018.
- Foreign government representatives or members of the Armed Forces of another country and members of their families who are not Canadian citizens.
The Town of Okotoks 2018 Municipal Census webpage has answers to many frequently asked questions.
Residents may call the Census help line at 403.995.2799
Census enumerators will be going door-to-door beginning May 17, 2018 and are available to help residents.
Census data was gathered from May 6 to June 22, 2015 to assist in planning the future of our community and to calculate grants.
Results of the 2015 Municipal Census has determined that the population of Okotoks as of May 6, 2015 is 28,016.
We thank all residents for participating.
A 2014 Municipal Census was conducted in Okotoks to capture the annual population increase in order to maximize future per capita grant funding opportunities. The census was conducted from May 7 to June 27, 2014. One question was asked: What is the usual number of residents that live in this household as of May 7, 2014?
PIN numbers were delivered to 9,461 households encouraging residents to complete the census online. This year 49.7% of residents used the online option, as compared to last year’s participation of 42.8%.
The total number of residents in the Town of Okotoks as of May 7, 2014 is 27,331. The Town’s population has increased by 1,012 residents (3.8%) from the 2013 census count of 26,319.
In 2016 the Town of Okotoks did not conduct a municipal census. The government of Canada conducted a federal census in 2016, and the official population for Okotoks is 28, 881.