Managing the economic hardships resulting from COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has fundamentally changed our social and economic way of life. This has created significant uncertainty in our community and raised a lot of questions about what is happening and how the Town can assist.
The Town’s utility payment deferral approach will apply to the billing cycles as follows:
Utility Billing Cycle
Current Due Date
New Due Date
January – February 2020
March 31, 2020
June 30, 2020
March – April 2020
May 29, 2020
August 31, 2020
- Utility customers can pause their utility bill payments for three months for the these billing cycles.
- Penalties will be waived for the original February and April 2020 billing, if paid on or before the new due dates.
- Changes to payment dates for March-April billing and dates for January-February arrears will be indicated on the utility bills being mailed May 1.
- To make the payment by the extended due date, please pay by cash or cheque (can be dropped off in the drop box at the Municipal Centre), in person at your financial institution or by online banking through your financial institution’s website.
- For titled property owners who would like to cancel pre-authorized utility payments and not have the amount due withdrawn on March 31, 2020, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with Cancellation of Pre-Authorized Payment in the subject line. Please provide your property address or utility account number by 12:00 p.m. on March 30, 2020. To reactivate pre-authorized payments for future utility bills, please email the above email address.
- Council has directed administration to investigate the potential of using the $1.5 million surplus from 2019 to reduce 2020 property taxes.
- Administration are also re-evaluating the 2020 budget to bring forward recommendations on changes to decrease proposed spending.
- Reports on both of these Council directions will be brought to the April 27, 2020 regular Council meeting.
Need further information?
Residents are advised to contact the Town at 403-938-4404 for more information. The Town appreciates your patience while Council and administration continue to work through all of these important matters. For continued updates, visit www.okotoks.ca/COVID-19.