Residential Permits

planning infographic

Building permit - residential permit

Building permits are required for the construction, demolition and alteration of any building in Okotoks. Some of the projects requiring a permit include:

  • Building a house or addition
  • Building a garage, shed, gazebo, accessory building etc.
  • Renovating/Altering your home
  • Building a deck
  • Installing a pool, hot tub or pond
  • Installing a wood stove 
  • Installing/Replacing a furnace or air conditioner

Applying for a building permit prior to the work you are considering has benefits:

  • Protects you and your family’s personal safety by ensuring that it meets safety standards.
  • Helps ensure you are covered by insurance. If a fire, or other damage to your property happens in an un-permitted area that does not meet safety codes, it is possible it will not be covered by insurance.

Building permits are not required for minor repairs and replacements that do not affect the structural integrity of a building, including:

  • Re-insulating or adding insulation
  • Window or door replacement providing the opening is not enlarged
  • Repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures
  • Re-roofing, except where structural work is involved
  • Minor exterior repairs

To confirm whether or not a project requires building permits, contact Permit Services

detached garage

A development permit is required for most forms of development within the Town.  The Land Use Bylaw outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses.

Not all proposed development requires a development permit. Smaller sheds, fences and decks may not require a development permit. Section 5.15 of the Land Use Bylaw outlines developments that do not require a development permit; however it is best to confirm with the Town whether you need a permit for the development you are considering.

How to apply for a Development Permit

Step 1: Check the Land Use Bylaw regulations for what you are proposing

  • Search your address here. Find your property’s land use district.
  • Check the Land Use Bylaw regulations.
  • Tip: You can contact the planning department for a pre-application discussion.

Land Use Bylaw 17-21

Step 2: Prepare your application

  • Tip: use the included attached checklist to make sure you have all the required application items

Step 3: Submit your application online

  • Send your completed application form and all required application items to Planning by submitting through our Contact Us button.

Contact Us

  • You will be sent instructions on how to pay the fee over the phone

Fee Schedule

What happens next?

Once received, Town staff will review your application to see if any required information is missing. Following this, staff will review the application against the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw and other relevant policies and plans. During this stage, they may ask for revisions. Approved permits will be emailed out. Contact Us if you have any questions.

Visit the planning guiding documents and bylaws page to find more information.

How do I pay for my permit?

Payment can be made over the phone with credit card or in person at the Municipal Centre using cheque, cash, debit or credit card.


I’ve submitted my application and paid for my permit, how long until it is approved?

Please note once you have paid for your permit, it could take up to 15 business days to get a Residential Permit Application approved and 15 days for a Commercial Permit Application to be processed. Your approval and permit number will be emailed to you once approved.


Does my Permit Expire?

Building permits do expire.  Active work must be started within 90 days from the date of issue and if work is suspended or abandoned for 120 days, a new permit must be obtained.  Residential permits are valid for 365 days at which time the work must be completed. If you are not ready for an inspection, you can request a one time 6 month permit extension before it expires.


I’m buying a home, what do I need to know?

Buyer beware! Make sure you ask for permits on the home you are considering. If you purchase it and then need to get permits, you may end up paying more and be responsible for deficiencies that need to be corrected after the inspection.


I’m selling my house, what do I need to know?

When you prepare to sell your home, the realtor is likely to ask for permits for finished basements, hot tubs, sheds etc.  If you need to get the permits in order to sell your house, there may be extra costs if you need to remove drywall so inspectors can see the wiring, plumbing, etc.


What if I just bought a house and the title hasn’t changed?

It could take up to 16 weeks to receive notification from Land Titles of a purchase of a new home. However, it you wish to apply for a permit before the Town of Okotoks has received notification from Land Titles please submit a copy of your Statement of Adjustments in order to avoid delays.


Why Should I get a Permit?

Making an insurance claim could be a challenge if you have uninspected work done in/on your home. We recommend contacting your insurance company for further information. Obtaining a permit ensures the work done in your home is safe and complies with the Alberta Building Code.


Can I still use a room in the basement as a bedroom if there is no window?

Any room being used as a bedroom must have a window that meets the egress requirements to ensure the occupant can get out in the case of a fire.


How Do I Cancel an Inspection?

Submit the form below one business day prior to the scheduled inspection.

Cancel Inspection 

My Inspection Report says I need to submit Verification of Compliance (VOC), how do I do that?

Verification of Compliance is intended as an option in for re-inspection of identified deficiencies from your inspection.  Once the work indicated on your inspection report has been completed, the form must be signed and submitted online.


Submitting Verification of Compliance (VOC)

Submit VOC (Verification of Compliance) if all deficiencies noted indicated on the site inspection report have been completed in accordance with the Safety Codes Act.

** Please make sure to sign and date document before uploading**

Submit VOC (Verification of Compliance)


What is a Permit Service Report (PSR)?

A permit service report is sent to you by email once the work has passed inspection to indicate your permit is now closed. If the work has not passed inspection, at the end of the 365 days the report is sent to notify you of the status.

Last Updated: