Town of Okotoks and Foothills County Water Collaboration Update
The Foothills Okotoks Regional Water Project (Project), a partnership between the Town of Okotoks and Foothills County, continues to positively progress.
- The proposed water system includes a water main, reservoir, pump station, and intake.
- The location of the facilities have been determined through engineering analysis of costs, environmental considerations, and operational efficiencies.
- The Town has purchased a site for an above-ground raw water reservoir and pump station.
- Preliminary design work is complete.
- The Town of Okotoks and Foothills County will receive $16M in provincial Water for Life Grant funding to construct a raw water pipeline as part of the Foothills Okotoks Regional Water Project. Water will be pumped from the Bow River where it meets the Highwood River through a shared water system to treatment facilities in both municipalities. Read the full news release & view announcement video below.
- The proposed funding for municipal shares of the project could potentially be 100 percent financed through grants and off-site levies, which are charged to developers to pay for infrastructure required to support growth.
- June 2021- June 2022 - Regulatory approvals (Water Act and Environmental Protection & Enhancement Act &water licence transfer applications submitted
- Late 2022 - Construction Request for Pre-Qualification
- Early 2023 - Construction (design/build) Request for Proposals
- 2024 - Construction
- August 2025 - regional water system operational