Watch for motorcycles, bicycles, scooters and pedestrians
Spring is fast approaching and avid motorcyclists and pedestrians are already out and about. Extra vigilance is required so roads remain safe for all users, but especially these vulnerable ones.
Did you know?
- Increased speed reduces your ability to control a vehicle and increases the probability of a collision.
- Speeding increases the likelihood of serious injury or death in a collision.
- Safety equipment such as seatbelts, airbags and guardrails become less effective in relation to increased speed.
- Higher speed equates to an increased stopping distance for vehicles.
- Drivers must slow to 60 kilometers per hour (or less if the posted speed limit is lower) whenever passing emergency vehicles and/or tow trucks with flashing lights on.
- 30 kilometer per hour School Zones are in effect in Okotoks from 7:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. during school days.
- 30 kilometer per hour Playground Zones are in effect in Okotoks from 7:00 a.m. until one hour after sunset 365 days a year.
Everyone is responsible to keep Okotoks roads safe for all users. Ensure you do your part by obeying posted speed limits.