OKOTOKS, AB: Emergency Preparedness Week (EP Week) is an annual event that takes place during the first full week of May. From May 2 to 8, the Town will bring awareness to the importance of emergency preparedness for Okotoks residents through a series of virtual daily activities, and by sharing resources that will help residents take action to protect themselves and their families during an emergency.
This year’s EP Week theme is Be Ready For Anything. Watch the Town’s social media stories to answer daily questions related to emergency preparedness for the chance to win a 72-hour emergency kit. All week, the Town will share information related to:
- How we can continue to Care Together during the COVID-19 crisis. With the recent closure of indoor facilities, the Town encourages residents to enjoy the outdoors while following Alberta Health Services guidelines
- Mental health and self-care for youth, and how to support others during a crisis
- Celebrating International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) with the launch of a new way to keep up to date with the Okotoks Fire Department on Twitter. IFFD is celebrated on May 4, St. Florian’s Day, the patron saint of firefighters
- Creating a family emergency plan and 72-hour emergency kit so everyone will know what to do in case of a disaster
- Registering with the Alberta Emergency Alert system for information on developing emergencies or serious alerts
- Connecting with your neighbours to create a resilient community
- Preparing yourself, your family and your home in case of a flood.