In 1900, Mr. Frank Watt from Longview built the first school in Okotoks.
It was a two-storey, four-room brick school, and was located at the foot of the hill. (This is where the Provincial Court Building is currently located on McRae Street).
This school served the Okotoks community until 1970 when it was torn down.
It was officially called ‘Okotoks Public School’ but most people called it the Okotoks Lower School – not just because of its location, but also because it taught the lower grades. Visit the Okotoks Museum and Archives to learn more!