Frequently Asked Business Questions (FAQs)
Starting a Business in Okotoks
Starting a business in the Town of Okotoks is easier than ever, with our online business intake form. Once you are prepared to bring your business to Okotoks, you simply fill out the our Business Development and Licensing Intake Form.
This form will help guide you through all of the requirements of starting a business here, by asking questions about your business. Once filled out, the form is submitted to each respective Town department for approval. In doing so, the process is streamlined; requiring less work by the applicant (you)!
Okotoks proudly hosts a collection of business support organizations that work collaboratively to promote, provide for and assist local businesses. Many of these organizations are involved in the "Okotoks Entrepreneurial Ecosystem." New businesses are encouraged to learn more about these support organizations and get involved if/where they can!
The Town of Okotoks requires all businesses that are operating, working, providing or selling a product or service within or partially within the town corporate boundaries to possess a valid Okotoks business license, as established in the Okotoks Business License Bylaw 20-13.
Acquiring a business license from the Town ensures that your business meets Town licensing and other Municipal Bylaw requirements and are permitted to operate within Okotoks.
Yes! All licensed businesses are included in our online business directory. This searchable data base provides valuable free online exposure to your business and is promoted across our social media channels throughout the year.
Business license fees are due by January 31 of each year and a license expires at midnight on December 31 of that same year. Invoices are sent in December to businesses in the database with the appropriate renewal fee identified. Payments for business license renewals can be made online with Visa or MasterCard by clicking the Renew Existing Business License icon at www.okotoks.ca.
You can also make payments using the following options:
- In Person at the Okotoks Municipal Centre, 5 Elizabeth Street, Okotoks
- Mailing a cheque, payable to:
Town of Okotoks
P.O. Box 20
Station Main, Okotoks AB
Economic Development Office
Economic Development is a tool that helps build a balanced foundation for business retention and to foster healthy growth. We thrive for community and regional economic success in putting the provincial, national and global economic indicators into context by being proactive in an ever changing economic environment.
Through collaboration and innovation we strive to cultivate the most welcoming and nurturing environment conducive to business success in Alberta. Our approach is grounded in thoughtfulness, authentic relationship building, responsiveness and robust communication; ensuring that every business in Okotoks is informed, treated fairly and given the best chance for success.
The Economic Development office focuses on 3 pillars of economic development to achieve our goals:
- Business Retention and Expansion - Providing support to local businesses in a day-to-day capacity, as well as when they are looking to expand their operations.
- Business Disaster and Recovery- Strengthening and supporting local businesses during extraordinary circumstances, through engagement, programming, communication and any other means necessary.
- Business Investment and attraction - Leveraging the Town’s competitive advantages to attract and diversify existing industry in a complementary and sustainable fashion, increasing the commercial tax base at a rate faster than the residential tax base by using a mix of marketing and business development strategies.