The Eco Centre is a self-sorting, drop-off facility where residents can take items to be recycled including electronics, hazardous waste, car batteries, k-cups, lightbulbs etc. The Eco Centre is also a convenient solution for when your blue or green carts are full or when items won’t fit in your cart.
What Goes to the Eco Centre
See What Goes Where below to find out current information on what items the Eco Centre accepts.
You can also access What Goes Where directly from the Town's Mobile Waste App!
These drop-off areas are for resident use only and are not intended for commercial operators.
Access to the Eco Centre and the drop off areas are only available during normal operating hours.
The Eco Centre takes many of your usual recycling materials and is a great option for dropping off common recycling items, or when bulky items won’t fit in your blue cart. We take:
- Plastics (#1-7)
- Paper and corrugated cardboard
- Glass (clean/label removed)
- Metal (cans, tin foil, jar lids)
Not everything can be placed in your blue cart, but all recyclables deserve a second chance. Many items that aren’t collected at your curb can still be recycled at the Okotoks Eco Centre, including:
- Alkaline & rechargeable batteries
- Car batteries
- Clothing, footwear, and household linens
- Compact florescent light (CFL) bulbs/tubes
- Empty motor oil containers
- Ink and toner cartridges
- Paint & aerosol paints
- Styrofoam (polystyrene) packing foam
- Single-use coffee pods (i.e. Keurig K-cups)
- Spray triggers & pumps from cleaning bottles
The Town of Okotoks operates a compost depot for residents to drop-off organic waste in a convenient and environmentally-friendly way.
Green organic food waste bins are currently available at the Eco Centre.
Grass and Leaves
To help residents divert excess organic yard waste from the landfill the Town offers several options for yard waste, especially during spring and fall clean up. Grass clippings and leaves (no branches) are accepted at the Eco Centre’s drop off bins.
Want a healthier lawn? Instead of bagging and disposing of your lawn clippings try grasscycling!
- These drop-off areas are for resident use only and are not intended for commercial operators. The Okotoks yard waste drop-off area is monitored to ensure there is no illegal dumping.
- Local contractors, please take your yard waste to the Foothills Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre located in Foothills County.