We are auditing Okotoks.ca to identify how the site is performing.  Please give us your feedback!

Certificates of Compliance

A Certificate of Compliance stamp on a Real Property Report (RPR) is a confirmation that the location of the building(s) on the property complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.  This is a service provided by the Town in response to a request (typically a requirement of a real estate transaction), and is not a requirement of the Town of Okotoks.

A RPR is a legal document that clearly illustrates the location of significant visible improvements relative to property boundaries. 

Information on Certificates of Compliance
What is a Certificate of Compliance?

A Certificate of Compliance is a confirmation from the Town that the location of the building(s) on the site comply with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.  It does not regulate or enforce any safety code requirements.  

A Certificate of Compliance is not a requirement of the Town, nor a legislative requirement; however, it is a service that the Town performs upon request.  It is usually required by lending agencies and/or lawyers in a real estate transaction and/or mortgage approval in order to protect their client’s investments.  Standard Real Estate Purchase Contracts often require the vendor to obtain a Certificate of Compliance.  To avoid a delay in finalizing your transaction, you should apply for your compliance stamp as soon as you have decided to sell your property. 

You will need to employ a registered Alberta Land Surveyor to prepare or update a Real Property Report for the property in question.

Application Requirements

Any application for a Certificate of Compliance must be accompanied by a minimum of two (2) ORIGINAL Real Property Reports (RPR) prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor identifying all developments on the site (i.e. buildings, decks, sheds, parking, etc.).  The Town will not accept photocopies or other copies of RPRs in support of a request for a Certificate of Compliance unless it concurrently receives the written confirmation of the surveyor that the information contained in the reports remains true and accurate. 

If the RPR was surveyed more than ninety (90) days from the date received by the Town, a Statutory Declaration will be required from the registered owner of the property stating that the RPR is accurate, and that there have been no changes to the site since the date of survey. RPRs must show on-site parking and sheds of all sizes. 

The Town of Okotoks:

  1. Relies entirely on the information submitted by the applicant for a Certificate of Compliance as being accurate;
  2. Does not independently confirm any locations of fixtures or other relevant facts;

and therefore limits its responsibility for accuracy to those fixtures accurately depicted on the RPR accompanying the application for a Certificate of Compliance.

Processing your Application

Applications for a Certificate of Compliance can be dropped off at the Municipal Centre between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, or mailed to:

Town of Okotoks
Municipal Centre
Box 20, 5 Elizabeth Street
Okotoks, AB   T1S 1K1

The Town of Okotoks is committed to providing high quality service, and will do our very best to process your application in a timely manner.  Generally, you will receive a response within 3 to 5 business days.  There may be a delay if further information is required from the surveyor/owner/lawyer or if files need to be retrieved from storage. 

If your Real Property Report meets the guidelines of the Land Use Bylaw, your copies will be stamped as complying.  PLEASE NOTE: One (1) original will be retained by the Town for our records, and the remainder will be returned to you.   

What Happens if my Property does not Comply

If the development on your property does not meet the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw, you will be advised accordingly, and the options to bring the property into compliance would be outlined.  Typically, the options include either removal or application for an Advertised Variance. 

If an application for an Advertised Variance was allowed, a completed application form along with the appropriate fee would be required, and then the development would be advertised in the Okotoks Western Wheel for a two (2) week period.  After two (2) weeks, if no comments are received by the Town, the Certificate of Compliance could be issued. 

If the only option was removal, once the non-compliant development is remedied, a Statutory Declaration would be required from the registered owner of the property stating that the development was removed.

Contact Us

For more information, contact Planning Services at 403-995-2760 or submit an inquiry online by clicking the button below.

Contact Us