Building a Detached Garage
A building permit is required for all residential detached garages. The structure shall not exceed 5m (16.4 ft.) in height for the portion that projects into the back yard, and must meet side yard requirements of the land use district for the principal building. An Electrical Permit is also required if interior work is being completed. The exterior finishes of detached Garages shall match or complement the exterior finishing of the principal building. For more detailed information, please refer to the Detached Garage Guidelines.
If your garage does not meet the Land Use Bylaw requirements (for height, size, etc.) you must apply for a development permit prior to making an application for a building permit. For information on development permits, please contact Planning Services at 403-995-2760 or submit an online inquiry using the form below.
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure that your application is clear, legible and accurate. In your application, you need to include the following:
- Exterior Accessory Permit Application and Credit Card Authorization Form
- Fees are GST exempt and may include the following:
- Building permit fee - $100.00 plus $4.50 Safety Codes Council
- Assessment administration fee - $25.00 (basements, secondary suites, detached garages & additions only)
- Electrical permit fee - $100.00 plus $4.50 Safety Codes Council
- A Site Plan in metric showing garage dimensions, height and setbacks from property lines and buildings (i.e. Real Property Report)
Both an electrical and building inspection will be required once the framing is completed.
Approved building permits will be emailed out to the applicant. Please note the telephone numbers on your permit to schedule inspections.