The basement/lower level is the portion of a building below the first floor which is either partially or completely below grade.
Basement/Lower Level Development
- Developing or renovating an existing basement
- Any alterations more extensive than cosmetic upgrades
- Adding, moving or removing walls
- Any structural changes
- New or enlarging basement window(s); note that egress requirements in the Alberta Building Code must be met if the proposed window is located within a bedroom. Please review the window guidelines.
- New basement entry (may require a development permit if proposed entry does not meet the Land Use Bylaw requirements). Contact Planning at 403-995-2760 prior to construction for more information.
For more information, please review:
Submit your application with the following form and ensure that it is clear, legible and accurate.
- The Interior Accessory Application form (payment is included in form)
- A floor plan showing:
- Proposed and existing room(s) layout
- Designation of the use and dimension of the proposed room(s)
- Total square footage being developed
- Window and door sizes, location of smoke alarms (note: if enlarging windows or adding new windows, a site plan and elevation plan is required)
- Details of any structural changes being proposed
- List of contractors (if not homeowner)
You will receive an email once your permit is approved. An inspection will be required once the framing and electrical rough-in, plumbing and gas rough-ins are complete, prior to insulation or drywall being hung. Complete the Request for Inspection form for each inspection.