EPCOR Reminds you to think before you flush!
PRODUCTS THAT ARE BAD FOR YOUR SEWER PIPES:
- Flushed dental floss can get wrapped around the backflow valve in the sanitary sewer pipe resulting in raw sewage backing up into your home.
- "Flushable" baby wipes, cleaning wipes, disposable diapers and cotton swabs can quickly clog up a sewer pipe.
- Cooking fats, oils and grease will clog your pipes and are not broken down by flushing with hot water and soap.
PRODUCTS THAT ARE BAD FOR YOUR LOCAL WATERSHED:
- Wastewater treatment facilities are not designed to remove most medicines, personal care products, and household hazardous wastes. As a result, these products will be returned untreated into our lakes and rivers.
- Anything that is washed or poured into grates at the side of the street will wind up flowing through the storm water system into our lakes and rivers. Storm water does not receive any treatment.
Here are a few useful tips to prevent costly sewer backups into your home and to help protect our rivers and lakes.