The Alberta Government has taken aggressive new public measures to address the evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Alberta Health officials have taken these current actions, effective immediately:
- All K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions are closed to students.
- All licensed childcare facilities, out-of-school care programs and preschool programs are closed.
To support the directive of the Alberta Government in this unprecedented time, the Okotoks Recreation Centre, the Pason Centennial Arenas, the Rotary Performing Arts Centre and the Foothills Centennial Centre are closed effective immediately until further notice.
The following Town facilities remain open: Southridge Emergency Services, Municipal Centre, Operations Centre, Eco Centre, Okotoks Art Gallery and the Okotoks Museum.
The Town of Okotoks has taken the following preventative measures in the past week:
- Activation of a Town of Okotoks Emergency Operations Centre to ensure quick and efficient response to continue to provide essential services and protect the health and safety of Okotoks residents
- Created flexible cancellation policies for recreation facility passes, programs and rentals
- Enhanced cleaning and janitorial services in public facilities
- Mandatory 14-day isolation period for all Town of Okotoks employees who are symptomatic and/or who travelled internationally
“The health and safety of our residents is the number one priority,” said Kelly Stienwand, director of emergency management, Town of Okotoks. “We know some of these proactive measures will effect your daily lives; however, we strongly believe these are necessary steps in minimizing the impact of COVID-19 in our community.”
The COVID-19 outbreak remains a fluid situation and information can change quickly and often. The Town of Okotoks is prepared to make additional changes as required in order to keep residents safe and reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
Residents are urged to visit the Alberta Health Services website for the most up–to-date information.
Additionally, new information is available on the Alberta Government website including a self-assessment tool and new information for airline passengers, travellers, and employers.
Continued updates will be published to the Town of Okotoks website at www.okotoks.ca/COVID-19.