All Town-managed facilities are currently closed, including front counter, and in-person services. Our priority is the health, safety & well-being of our patrons and staff. Learn more about the Town’s response to COVID-19 and the... Read More

Keep Your Family Safe from Household Chemicals

March 28, 2020

The Okotoks Fire Department want to remind you that chemicals in your home can be dangerous to your health and the environment. Even if your cleansing wipes are running low, please do not mix cleaning products when disinfecting your home. Mixing cleaning products can lead to irritated airways, respiratory problems, or serious burns to your skin, eyes, throat, nose, and lungs. 

DO NOT MIX:

Bleach & Vinegar = Toxic Chlorine Gas
Bleach & Ammonia = Toxic Chloramine Vapors
Bleach & Rubbing Alcohol = Chloroform
Hydrogen Peroxide & Vinegar = Peracetic Acid

Use and storage tips:

To keep your family safe, follow these safety tips when you use, store or throw them out:

  • Follow the instructions on the label when you use and store household chemicals.
  • Store these materials out of the reach of children and pets. Use safety locks and guardrails on shelves and cabinets when you store materials. This will prevent them from falling or tipping and small children from accessing them.
  • Wear gloves and goggles when using these materials.
  • Store products in their original containers.
  • Store flammable materials in a secure area away from heat and/or flame.
  • Only fill portable gasoline containers outdoors in an open area. Make sure to place the container on the ground when you fill it.
  • Never store materials that can cause a fire in the sun or near an open flame or heat source.