Neighbour Day: Creating Connected Communities
Neighbour Day is a chance to do a little something extra for your neighbor. You just might make someone's day. The Town encourages all residents to take this opportunity to say hello to their neighbours, whether they are new to the neighbourhood or have been around for a long time. This is meant to be a celebration of community, bringing together the people next door, across the street and down the road. Help keep that small town feel that makes Okotoks a great place to live!
The goals of Neighbour Day are to:
- Strengthen communities and build better relationships with the people who live around us.
- Create safer, healthier and more vibrant suburbs and towns.
- Promote tolerance, respect and understanding.
- Break down community barriers.
- Protect the elderly, the vulnerable and the disadvantaged.
If you are having a hard time of thinking of something to do, here are some suggestions.
If you haven't met your neighbor, today is the perfect day to introduce yourself!
- Give a smile and a friendly hello or wave
- Throw a party! Plan a BBQ or a picnic and invite your neighbours
- Lend a helping hand to clean up a neighbour's yard or mow their lawn
- Buy your neighbour a cup of coffee
- Plan a block party or a potluck supper
- Offer to walk a neighbours dog or watch a neighbour's house while they are away on vacation
- Organize a pick up game of soccer in the nearest park
- Surprise your neighbour with some homemade baked goodies or fresh flowers
- Begin a neighbourhood kid swap – you watch their kids one weekend and they watch yours the next
- Organize play dates
- Talk to your neighbours – share your concerns, listen to theirs and work together to habitate beside one another in harmony!
- Keep in touch – consider a street Facebook group to share news and needs
To learn more about a citizen-driven initiative on connecting neighbours and communities visit the Okotoks Network