Champion Park

The Municipal District of Foothills and the Town of Okotoks are pleased to announce the joint acquisition of Champion Park. The park sits on approximately 52 acres in a rural area in the MD of Foothills adjacent to Highway 2.

This joint maintenance agreement is another tremendous opportunity for an inter-municipal, collaborative partnership project between the Town of Okotoks and the MD of Foothills.

History behind Champion Park

Champion Park was gifted by the Knowlton Family. Gerald L. Knowlton built the park as an homage to the CPR and as a family tribute to his mother, Faye, and father, Frederick (Ted) Knowlton – a CPR station agent who served in the town of Standard, Alberta for 42 years. The park was replicated after the train station and surroundings that his father operated.

Founded in 1979, Champion Park includes not only the land, but a lake, a restored CPR railway station from Champion, Alberta, a number of outbuildings, railway tracks, a 1960s era locomotive, a 1948 mail-express car, a 1929 Executive car (“The Saskatchewan”), display and rail cars, rolling stock as well as other period equipment and railway artifacts. The park is located 5 km northeast of Okotoks and 7 km north of Aldersyde on the east side of Highway 2 at the junction of 64 St. East and Township Road 210.

Future for Champion Park

Stay tuned for more details

Past events

Champion Park hosted its second Open House on August 4, 2018 from 11am-3pm.

The first time Champion Park was open to the public was during the First Open House  on August 5, 2017.

 

Publications & Forms