Making a Complaint

If you wish to make a complaint or have witnessed or know of a bylaw infraction, you can call the Municipal Enforcement 24 hour dispatch line at (403) 938-8913.

Complaints are responded to on a priority basis. Response time will depend on availability of personnel at the time of the call and the priority of the complaint compared with other calls received. If the complaint is not urgent, we may ask for assistance. (For example, if a bicycle or a stray dog has been found and a Peace Officer is not available, we may ask that that the bike or dog be held until an officer is available or that the bike or animal be dropped off at the Southridge Emergency Services Building.)

Step One: Initial Contact & Providing Information

When you make a complaint, you will be asked for your full name and address, and a phone number where you can be reached (home, work, and or cell.) All of your personal information is kept strictly confidential. You will also be asked for information about the situation you wish to report such as names of parties involved (if known), date(s) and time(s) the occurrence happened, a specific address or the location where it occurred, what you saw or heard, and the action you wish taken. It is helpful to provide as much detail as you can to describe the matter you are reporting.

Step Two: Assignment of Officer to Case

When Enforcement Services receives a complaint, a Peace Officer is assigned to begin investigating the matter. Your complaint, along with all the information provided, is recorded in a file which remains open until the matter is concluded. Any action taken will be based on your wishes in conjunction with available evidence. Insufficient evidence would result in no prosecution; however, a warning may be issued.

Step Three: Follow Up

During the course of an investigation, you may be asked to provide a written statement of what you observed and you may be asked to testify in court. When a Peace Officer has not personally witnessed the offense, your testimony would be required if you want a charge laid for the offense. If you are not willing to provide a statement or testify in court, a charge cannot be laid and a warning to the offender(s) may be the only course of action.

Step Four: Completion of Investigation

At the conclusion of an investigation, the Peace Officer will inform you of any action(s) taken and the final outcome.

Common outcomes upon completion of an investigation are at the Officer’s discretion. Some steps that may be taken to resolve the complaint include:

  • Issue a warning 
  • Request compliance
  • Allow a set period of time to arrange for compliance
  • Issue a ticket with a voluntary fine amount
  • Issue a summons requiring appearance in court (the accused may still have the option to comply before going to court)
Sun: Closed
Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat: Closed
Closed On Statutory Holidays
  • Municipal Enforcement Services - 24 Hr Complaint Line: 403-938-8913
    Municipal Enforcement Services - Inquiry Line: 403-995-6302


  • Municipal Enforcement Services - 24 Hr Complaint Line: 403-938-8913
    Municipal Enforcement Services - Inquiry Line: 403-995-6302
Closed On Statutory Holidays