Basement: the portion of a building below the first floor which is either partially or completely below grade.
Secondary Suite: a self-contained dwelling unit within the main residence that has a separate living, sleeping, cooking and bathroom facilities. They are also refered to as basement suites or in-law suites. Contact Planning at 403-995-2760 prior to construction.
A building permit is required when:
- Developing or renovating an existing basement
- Any alterations more extensive than cosmetic upgrades
- Adding, moving or removing walls
- Any structural changes
- New basement entry (may require a development permit if proposed entry does not meet the Land Use Bylaw requirements). Contact Planning at 403-995-2760 prior to construction.
Please refer to the Basement/Lower Level Guidelines
Before You Dig
Always call Alberta One Call before you dig at 1-800-242-3447. For information or to submit a locate request visit Alberta One-Call http://albertaonecall.com/submit-a-locate-request/
New Window or Enlarging a Window
A building permit is required if you are adding or enlarging a window in your basement. The egress requirements in the Alberta Building Code must be met if the proposed window is located within a bedroom. Please review to window guidelines (insert window info link)
If you are planning on developing a secondary suite, contact Planning Services at 403-995-2760 to determine whether your house is zoned correctly.
Consequences Involved When No Permit Obtained
- Enforcement action or stop work order may be issued by the Town of Okotoks inspector
- Fines for building without a permit
- Undo and redo work that has been completed potentially increasing your budget significantly
- Future legal and financial issues when you sell your property or make an insurance claim
Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the work being carried out conforms to any restrictive covenants, caveats or other restrictions that are registered at land titles.