The Town of Okotoks has many new construction and infrastructure projects. This includes the completion of multi-phased projects started in previous years and the planning of new multi-phased projects that will enhance the Town’s roadways, utilities, buildings, and recreational parks and facilities. We know that construction can impact residents and businesses and we thank you for your patience while we complete this work.
Construction Projects & Notifications
Construction on Veterans Way resumed on April 17, 2017. Whenever possible, the Town will endeavour to minimize the impact to traffic. Temporary traffic controls will be implemented by the contractor as required; drivers should expect delays. For additional project information, please refer to the information below.
Veterans Way Pedestrian Corridor (Milligan Drive to Mountain Street) improvements include:
- wider sidewalks on the east side of the street
- a multi-use pathway on the west side of the street.
- replacing aging poplar trees with alternate species such as Green Ash, Burr Oak, and American Elm as well as a variety of flowering shrubs, perennials and ornamental grasses, which will visually enhance Veterans Way throughout the year.
- relocating power lines along the east side of the street underground so they will not be impacted when the new trees reach maturity.
These upgrades reflect the concept residents preferred during public open houses held in 2014 and 2015 and, when finished, will reflect the project goal of creating safe downtown connections while maintaining the Town’s focus on active transportation, sustainability practices and emphasizing Veterans Way as a gateway to the downtown. A Veterans Memorial is planned for the retaining wall and will serve as an important connector to the future development planned for the northern part of Okotoks.
A vision of what the pedestrian corridor will be like when it is completed and the landscaping has reached maturity:
Plan View Rendering
Section View Rendering
Work Completed in 2016:
- Retaining wall repairs.
- Selected firm to design and build retaining wall memorial. First draft of conceptual design complete.
- Sidewalk on both sides of Veterans Way between Elma Street and Elizabeth Street.
- Sidewalk on west side of Veterans Way from Centre Court to the south end of retaining wall (3.0m monolithic sidewalk).
- Half of the sidewalk on west side of Veterans Way south of the retaining wall (1.5m monolithic sidewalk).
- Half of the sidewalk on east side of Veterans Way until the top of hill (1.1m monolithic sidewalk).
- Road reconstruction and asphalt ‘levelling course’ to prepare roadway for top lift paving in 2017.
- Partial completion of landscaping plan.
- Construction of temporary asphalt sidewalk and curb for uninterrupted winter use and maintenance.
Brief History of Veterans Way Pedestrian Corridor Project
The preferred concept design selected for this project was based on feedback received at a public open house in November 2014. The construction design is intended to improve pedestrian and bicycle connectivity. Click below for the proposed concept design and phasing of the improvements.
For more information:
Engineering Services: 403-995-2783
Please be advised, construction of the cremation garden expansion is ongoing, weather permitting. Please watch for and obey any construction signage.
Any existing burial plots in this area will be protected during the works, if you would like to access a plot that is within the construction zone, please contact the Cemetery Administrator at 403-938-8958 and arrangements can be made to provide access.
The Town of Okotoks will be replacing the aging watermain, sanitary sewer, and pavement on Patterson Road this year (see graphic).
The work will include the replacement of individual lot sanitary and water service to property line. Road structure will be redone with new pavement added from curb to curb. Existing curb in good condition will be salvaged. The sanitary sewer near the Clark Avenue stairs (see yellow portion of graphic) will be undergoing maintenance which may involve excavation and replacement of the main or manholes, and may require the closure of the stairs.
As a part of the design process, the Town intends to construct a new sidewalk on Patterson Road. Design consultants will determine which side of the road can best accommodate a sidewalk.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Engineering Services at 403-938-8053.
Well 14, southwest of the Okotoks Public Library, has been drilled to add additional raw water capacity to the Town’s waterworks system. See image below.
Prior to construction, some trees will be removed to accommodate installation of the well flood protection. Trees will be replaced post construction in accordance with the Town’s tree replacement policy. Please expect minor pathway delays and pedestrian re-routing.
For more information contact:
Engineering Services at 403-938-8910.
Ball Diamond at Laudan Park Construction
Construction of the park lands for Laudan Park is underway and is expected to last through October, weather permitting.
The planned scope of work for the park includes a new ball diamond, parking area, tree removals, plantings and a paved pathway around the ball diamond.
The new field is a needed replacement for Spoiler Field which was lost in the 2013 flood.
We appreciate your patience during this time, and ask that you please watch for and obey any construction signage.
For more information:
Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm