Efforts will be focused on targeting new businesses, investments and projects in the following key areas.
Economic Development Targeted Sectors:
- Technology, Innovation, Professional & Technical Services - Targeted industry: computer and network-based consulting, data centres, home based businesses, software and application development, e-commerce, fulfillment centres, engineering firms, law firms, architects, doctors and medical specialists. Clean, low pollution, aided by decentralization trend enabled by Internet.
- Tourism Marketing & Product Development - promote the area's physical/cultural beauty to the Calgary market. Targeted industry: - arts/culture/entertainment, green/eco tourism, sports tourism, outdoor adventure, spas, hotels, bed and breakfasts, specialty shopping/dining, and investment in tourism infrastructure.
- Green Building Products, Environmental and Services - building on the business of environment; water, waste, wastewater, recycling, energy efficiency, land remediation, green building products. Targeted industry: manufacturing, consulting, engineering, research and development.
- Business from the Home - Home-Based Business and Tele-Commuters. All sectors are targeted, but specific emphasis is placed on the high tech industry and one to two person professional and technical services enterprises/consulting firms.
- Value Added Agriculture / Food Processing/ Alternative Energy - grow local/eat local. Targeted industry: organic foods/processing, horticulture (flowers, bulbs, berry crops, nurseries, specialty crops and processing), energy (bio-fuels), food processing, food production, leverages Alberta's reputation and expertise (engineering/consulting) as an energy leader. Sectors - solar, wind, geo-thermal, biofuels. Targeted industry: manufacturing, research and development, installation.
- Transportation & Logistics - Focus on the T & L value chain with emphasis on corporate headquarters and office relocations in particular, then research & development, industrial sales offices and possibly distribution centres.