Home Residents Parks Cemetery
Contact us to find out information about donating a Memorial bench or tree, locating a loved one's burial site, or purchasing a burial plot. Cemetery Fees (183 KB)
Cemetery Enhancement Plan
In 2008 a Cemetery Enhancement Plan was created to better position the Town’s capacity to provide enhanced levels of interment and memorialisation opportunities to the community and upgrade the Cemetery’s physical appearance. Since 2009, several enhancements have been completed at the cemetery. These enhancements include paved roads, decorative directional signage, the addition of a historical monument, additional inventory of in-ground burial plots, additional columbaria, ornamental fencing and stone pillars at the entrance way, as well as ornamental plantings and enhanced maintenance.
Construction Update: September 26, 2013
Work has been completed for the installation of concrete strip foundations in the cemetery in the Serenity Garden South, and Serenity Garden North areas. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during construction. Weather permitting, there may be fence construction and installation of benches in the fall, but this work is expected to have minimal impact on cemetery visitors.Work will be commencing in mid August to install concrete strip foundations in the cemetery in the Serenity Garden South, and Serenity
Construction Update: August 15, 2013
Work will be commencing in mid August to install concrete strip foundations in the cemetery in the Serenity Garden South, and Serenity Garden North areas. This work is in alignment with the overall enhancement plan and will increase inventory of in-ground burial plots in the cemetery. The cemetery will remain open but there will be areas of construction. Please watch for and obey any construction fencing and signage. Weather permitting, this upgrade will be complete by early September.
The purpose of the Memorial Donation Program is to provide the opportunity for citizens to honour deceased loved ones, families or groups by having a park bench and/or a tree with a memorial plaque installed on municipal property.
The Union Cemetery was created like much of the prairie frontier – out of necessity. The few who had died previous to 1889 were buried respectfully, but in unmarked and often forgotten graves. When Harry E. Denning, a recent arrival in the Turner Valley area and devoted Presbyterian, lost his wife and newborn son in 1889, he and the undertaker, Jack Wilson, paced out the boundaries for a one-acre cemetery in an open field southwest of Okotoks. Jane (Beck) Denning and her two-week-old son, David, were buried in the empty field on the NE quarter of 20-20-29-W4. The land was transferred from N. McInnis to the Presbyterian Church. At the same time the remains of a man who had been buried in the Sandstone quarry northwest of Okotoks were brought in and reinterred.
Between 1913 and 1919, the town purchased four acres to the south and east from Benjamin and Christina Teskey. In 1914, the Presbyterian Church sold its parcel to the town. Four more acres were purchased from George and Hilda Ridder in 1971. The entire cemetery is now within the town limits and there is no more room for expansion.
The cemetery records are incomplete due to the effects of both nature and human nature. According to the 1915 Okotoks Review, partial records were kept of the earlier burials in the Presbyterian portion. Other cemetery records were lost in a town office fire in the early 1900s.
Less is known of the Catholic Cemetery, a one-acre parcel directly west of the Union Cemetery. It was created in 1909 and was operated by the Catholic Church until 1966, when the town gradually assumed responsibility.
New graves are no longer added to the oldest part of the cemetery to prevent disturbing any unmarked graves.