Home Municipal Services Engineering 32nd Street Road & Bridge News
32nd Street Road & Bridge News
The 32nd Street Bridge opening was held on Saturday, November 27. An official opening ceremony took place with speeches from the Honourable Ted Menzies, MLA George Groeneveld and Mayor Bill Robertson.
32nd Street Bridge Fun Facts
- Bridge funding was announced in September of 2009 and construction began that October, making this a very quick 14 month project.
- The bridge cost $27 million, making it the largest infrastructure project undertaken by the Town
- The bridge is 140 metres long, which doesn't include the 1.4 kilometers of arterial roadway constructed from Cimarron Estates to North Railway Street
- This is the largest recorded diversion of a meandering mountain river. 750 metres of river was re-located, returning the river course to the historical route followed from the 1950's to 1970's.
- This diversion included the active relocation of11,000 fish to help the fish migrate to the new river channel.
The advantages to this diversion include: mitigating the risk of flood damage in downstream lands, reducing bank erosion and allowing the bridge to be constructed efficiently on dry land.
The Sheep River Bridge is a legacy of sustainable transportation design.