Okotoks Museum and Archive
Heritage House History
Built in 1905, this stately house was originally located at 126 Elizabeth Street on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Northridge Drive in Okotoks. Over the years, the house was home to several prominent families including Mayor George Welch and in later years, it served as a day care centre, antique store and law/government offices. The house faced the possibility of destruction in 2000 due to the impending widening of the provincial highway located next to the house. The Okotoks community rallied to raise the necessary funds to have it moved to its present location on North Railway Street. Here it continues to make and preserve history as the Okotoks Museum and Archives. Various owners have replaced and modernized some aspects of the house, however, it still has the beautiful window casings and the original hardwood floors can be found underneath newer hardwood. A functional restoration was undertaken in the fall of 2009 to return some of the original character and charm to the house. The house has now become a beautiful landmark on North Railway Street. Surrounded by trees and flowerbeds, it is difficult to believe that the house once existed elsewhere.
The Okotoks Museum and Archives opened its doors in 2000.