The Town of Okotoks is working towards eliminating yard waste from our refuse/ garbage stream. Yard waste adds extra tonnage to our municipal garbage in the summer months, not only wasting a valuable compost source to the landfill but also adding a lot of extra weight to our tipping fees.
Ways to Deal With Your Yard Waste!
Residents now have several options for handling their yard waste:
- Grass-cycling - the process of leaving the grass clippings on your lawn after you've mowed. This lets the moisture and nutrients in the grass return to the soil as the clippings decompose into mulch.
- Yard Composter - every few weeks when you want to clear your clippings, utilize your personal composter
- Recycling Centre Yard Waste Bin - If you don't want to compost on site, then drop off your lawn and leaf waste for free at the Recycling Depot.
- Curbside Cut n' Call Program - If you want a curbside collection service to pick up your lawn cuttings and leaves then utilize the new Cut n' Call Program.
How does Cut n' Call work?
Simply purchase the official Town 'Cut n' Call' kraft paper bags for $3 at the Municipal Centre, Recreation Centre, Safeway or Sobeys. For your convenience, the collection fee is built into the original price of the bag when purchased.
Fill the bag(s) with your yard waste (one bag is equivalent to two regular sized garbage bags).
Call the number on the bag or register your pickup on-line and place it at your curb for collection.
Your bag will be collected on one of the two weekly pick up days and taken away for composting.
The bags are durable and can be left in the elements for up to 14 days. They will breakdown at the regional facility in 90-120 days into Grade A compost.
Please Note: store your Cut n' Call bags in a dry area prior to use, as if exposed to the elements the bag with break down in approx. 14 days.
If you have just cut your lawn or raked your leaves and now need your Town of Okotoks' Cut n’ Call bag(s) collected from you curb, please call 403.938.4372 and leave a message or fill in and submit the following web form and your bag(s) will be cleared form your curb on the next collection day.
Collection days are weekly on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Calls for pickup on collection days must be received before 9am. In the event of stat holiday(s), pick-up will move to the next business day.
Cut n' Call bags should be placed by 9am curbside in your front yard.
Other bio-degradable yard waste bags are available in the market. Bags that are not official Town of Okotoks Cut n' Call yard waste bags will NOT be collected from your curb within this yard waste program. Other bags are not applicable within the program as they do not contain the collection cost within the sale price of the bag.